Electric vehicles were introduced in the 18thcentury: With the journey of modern-day electric cars starting around two decades ago. In the beginning, big brands like Toyota, Honda, and others came up with Hybrid Electric Vehicles. However, Tesla, Inc. is the real name behind transforming the whole concept of electric vehicles.
Whenever a new and modern product is launched, most of us have doubts and ask different types of questions. Electric vehicles face the same situation. Similar and common concerns regarding green cars are:
- Are electric cars really eco friendly, or is this a myth?
- Are electric cars really green, how would we know?
- Are electric cars green and eco friendly living products?
- How green are electric cars, how do we determine this?
- Are electric cars greener than gas and diesel based traditional vehicles?
- How are electric cars eco friendly living?
- Why are electric cars eco friendly living?
- Are electric cars more eco friendly living than conventional vehicles?
- Are electric cars actually green, or are the emissions merely displaced?
- How green are electric cars really, has this been determined yet?
- Are electric cars greener, or merely sales talk?
- Are electric cars eco friendly living products?
- How eco friendly are electric cars, how was this determined?
- Are electric cars about eco friendly living?
- Are electric cars about living an eco friendly lifestyle?
These almost similar questions and concerns reflect only one thing. There is uncertainty about green electric cars and their impact on the environment. This article is intended to address the confusions about these cars and their relationship with the environment.
According to the Union of Concerned Scientists, electric cars are automobiles which run with the help of an electric motor. They look similar to conventional cars and do not use fossil fuels such as petrol, diesel or gas to function.
The fuel used in electric vehicles is the electric power supplied by rechargeable batteries or assisted with fuel cells. To recharge drained batteries, charging stations already exist, and would be introduced at a steady pace as electric vehicles become available. Electric vehicle growth and the number of electric charging stations would go hand in hand. Keeping in mind that with no direct carbon emissions, electric cars prevent air pollution.
The Working of Electric Cars
These cars are propelled by an electric engine using rechargeable batteries as the primary energy source. Unlike conventional cars, they do not feature a gas tank and tailpipe. Instead of internal combustion engines, green and eco friendly living cars feature electric motors along with the controller. Moreover, the electric motor of these cars does not require oil, tune-ups, and smog checks.
The power source in green cars is the rechargeable battery. It supplies enough energy to the electric motor to move the electric car. Another component in an electric vehicle is the controller which regulates the amount of power received from batteries. This ensures the safety of the electric motor.
Enough electricity is generated to run the electronic devices in a green and eco friendly living vehicles. Remaining functions like brakes, transmission, airbags, and air conditioning are similar to those of petrol, diesel or gas-powered cars.
Benefits of Electric Cars
In comparison to gas cars or the ones running on petrol or diesel, electric vehicles provide many benefits. They also resolve several concerns related to the environment. Below are some major ones:
- Electric green cars do not have tailpipe exhausts which means no NOx, PM10s, and CO2 emissions.
- We no longer need to worry about miles per gallon when driving green and eco friendly living electric cars. Most electric vehicles cover up to 150 – 200 km and more, before the next charge.
- Since these cars run with the help of rechargeable batteries, they minimize the dependency on fossil fuels.
- We have the option to recharge them as per our convenience.
- The silent engine of these cars prevents noise pollution.
- The moving parts in these cars are less when compared to regular vehicles. It means maintaining electric vehicles is cheaper and easy.
- Use of rechargeable batteries in these cars makes them worthwhile.
- Many countries and governments are offering subsidies to every person interested in purchasing an electric vehicle.
What is Stopping the use of Electric Cars?
When we see the functioning and advantages of go green electric cars, they trump regular vehicles. However, every person does not think so and opinions like the following are voiced, about electric vehicles:
- Electric cars aren’t green, and not worth the hassle
- Electric cars are not green and are slow
- Electric cars are not so green after all, why all the fuss
- Electric cars are not green, we’d need to do more research
Questions are being raised about the eco friendly lifestyle and nature of electric vehicles globally. With so much opposition, the matter of electric vehicles requires further research. Here are some important uncertainties stopping the mainstream use of electric vehicles:
Emissions Shift from Roads to Power Plants
We know that batteries of electric vehicles on roads do not emit greenhouse gases. The power plants engaged in charging electric cars do emit CO2 and other harmful gases.
At present, the concept of electric vehicles looks feasible in countries like the United States. Here Renewable energy accounts for around 17 percent of the total domestically produced electric power. This also answers the following concern: Are electric cars greener: depends on where you live?
Another barrier of electric vehicles is during battery production. A lot of CO2 is emitted when producing rechargeable batteries. On the other hand, different minerals like copper, cobalt, and neodymium are used to produce batteries.
The mining of these metals has always been controversial in countries like China, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and others. It leads to human rights violations, reducing forests, pollution of rivers, and soil pollution.
Questions are raised about the disposal of batteries when the life of electric vehicles end. The complex batteries used in these cars are a threat to the environment. Also, batteries contain toxic chemicals which are genuine concerns.
Though big names are brainstorming to develop methods for giving batteries a second life, nothing feasible is on the table yet. It is important to find a solution to extend the life of such batteries. This would ensure less impact on the environment.
Today, the whole world is looking forward to green and eco friendly living cars. In comparison to conventional cars, electric vehicles are better for the environment, though marginal, this is improving constantly.
At present, concerns surrounding electric vehicles and the environment are genuine. This is because we are in the initial phases of shifting from regular vehicles to electric ones. Once electric vehicles become mainstream all over the world and their production increases, these concerns would lessen. Electric vehicles is sure to become the darling of eco friendly living and living an eco friendly lifestyle.
- How Autophagy Benefits Health: Autophagy Meaning - January 20, 2020
- What is Autophagy? Does Autophagy Improve Quality of Life? - January 13, 2020
- 2 To 30 Day Water Fast, Intermittent Fast, Lose Weight - January 3, 2020