World Oceans Day 2019
2019 THEME & CONSERVATION FOCUS
2019 & 2020 Theme:
Together we can protect and restore our ocean
When you lead or participate in World Oceans Day events and activities, you are both celebrating our blue planet and uniting with a global community of leaders and changemakers to protect and restore our ocean. This year’s theme and conservation focus will guide you and others in the fast-growing World Oceans Day network as you begin to prepare for this upcoming 8 June.
Conservation focus: demonstrate leadership in preventing plastic pollution and share solutions that inspire and activate the global community
Check out these event ideas to begin planning your celebration and get involved! Stay tuned for exciting new resources and much more coming soon!
On World Oceans Day, people around our blue planet celebrate and honor the ocean, which connects us all. Get together with your family, friends, community, and the planet to start creating a better future. Working together, we can and will protect our shared ocean. Join this growing global celebration on 8 June!
HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
It’s fun and easy! This site was developed as a free resource for everyone around the world to use:
WHY CELEBRATE WORLD OCEANS DAY?
A healthy world ocean is critical to our survival. Every year, World Oceans Day provides a unique opportunity to honor, help protect, and conserve our world’s shared ocean. The ocean is important because it:
- Generates most of the oxygen we breathe
- Helps feed us
- Regulates our climate
- Cleans the water we drink
- Offers a pharmacopoeia of medicines
- Provides limitless inspiration!
NOW EACH OF US CAN GIVE BACK
Participate in a World Oceans Day event or activity this year and help protect the ocean for the future. It’s up to each one of us to help ensure that our ocean is healthy for future generations. World Oceans Day allows us to:
- Change perspective – encourage individuals to think about what the ocean means to them and what it has to offer all of us with hopes of conserving it for present and the future generations.
- Learn – discover the wealth of diverse and beautiful ocean creatures and habitats, how our daily actions affect them, and how we are all interconnected.
- Change our ways – we are all linked to, and through, the ocean! By taking care of your backyard and helping in your community, you are acting as a caretaker of our ocean. Making small modifications to your everyday habits will make a difference, and involving your family, friends, and community will benefit our blue planet even more!
- Celebrate – whether you live inland or on the coast, we are all connected to the ocean. Take the time to think about how the ocean affects you, and how you affect the ocean, and then organize or participate in activities that celebrate our ocean.
The Ocean Project leads global promotion and coordination of World Oceans Day. Since 2002, we have collaboratively worked in partnership with hundreds of organizations and networks from all sectors to help rally the world around 8 June, and continue to grow engagement and action for our shared ocean throughout the year. All information, materials and resources on this site and associated with World Oceans Day are free to use to those who are celebrating World Oceans Day as a way to bring about a healthier ocean and a better future. World Oceans Day® is trademarked to protect it from those who might have commercial or counterproductive interests.