In a green smart home, photo-voltaic solar panels may be used. When using photovoltaic solar panels, and a grid-tied system with back-up batteries, the electrical running costs are reduced by up to 95%.
And when generating more electricity than we need, we may be paid by the national supplier for feeding that excess back into the grid.
Additionally, when the green home is resold, the initial outlay for green features is fully recouped.
Other ways in which money is saved and profits are increased in a green home are by:
- Using energy-efficient lighting, heating and air-conditioning systems.
- Conserving and managing the use of water, using smart technology.
- Using natural light and air by rethinking the placement of doors, windows, and other openings.
- Using building materials that provide efficient insulation.
- Using sensors to control lighting and air-conditioning.